Re- Announced GIS/RS Specialist
Job Categories: GIS
Minimum Education Level: Bachelor/Master
Position: GIS/RS Specialist
Organization: Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock (MAIL).
Duty station: Kabul
About CLAP &SNaPP-2
Support to National Priority Program2 (SNaPP2) is a development project of MAIL funded IFAD with the goal to improve food security and economic status of poor rural households in three provinces; Balkh, Herat, and Nangarhar. The Sector Focus of CLAP and SNaPP projects (Poverty Reduction, Food Security, Income Opportunity, M&E). The project will reach at least 57,000 households consisting of 427,500 people in these provinces. Community Livestock and Agriculture Project (CLAP). The overall goal of the project is to contribute to poverty reduction in rural Afghanistan. The long term goal of the project is to contribute to reducing poverty in rural Afghanistan and its short term goal to improve the food security of 169,500 rural households in selected districts in the provinces of Kabul, Parwan, and Logar by increasing agriculture and livestock productivity. While the SNaPP projects have two specific objectives:
(i) institutional development and capacity building of community organizations, public extension services, and relevant private sector entities in the provinces; and
(ii) sustained increased incomes of small farmers and herders fostered by improvements in productivity and output, infrastructure, and market linkages. These objectives will be addressed through supporting institutions and services, fostering increased productivity and production, and where feasible, upgrading profitable agriculture/livestock value chains.
GIS/RS specialist work under the supervision of M&E unit head. GIS/RS specialist is responsible for the technical implementation of the GIS aspects of projects in close collaboration with the Project Coordinator, Technical Staff and other staff of the Directorate.
- He/she should have at least Bachelor Degree in Geography (GIS), computers or Civil engineering or related field Master degree would be preferred
- Five - years or more of experience in a similar position;
- Proficiency in MapInfo GIS, ArcGIS packages, and other MS office applications;
- Previous experience with Irrigation and MAIL project area is a strong asset.
- Experience in working as part of a multidisciplinary team of experts.
- Excellent communication, analysis and writing skills
- Fluency in English (oral and written) is a requirement
- Good interpersonal skills (the consultants will contact various actors and stakeholders of the project).
- Generate module wise gradient maps filtered by date, indicator, partner, budget, status etc.
- Generation provincial and districts wise maps for modules & indicator data.
- Plot all modules of information over map using GPS coordinates.
- Plot data over Google Maps, using Google APIs and Google imagery.
- Satellite imagery purchasing and analysis for crop pattern change and extension of command area
Job Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develop proposal and concept note to deal with Satellite Imagery Company in order to purchase Satellite images.
- Support the use of satellite image for data collection and analysis
- Develop map layout (cartography, including standardized colors schemes ad standard templates for high quality;
- Prepare project deliverables including spatial information analysis, databases development, and publishing of maps with ArcGIS and other software.
- Provide technical assistance to projects as needed including support to acquisition of field data, aerial surveys, and other imagery.
- Support GIS-related research and GIS-related analysis for Program and management
- Provide training to team members and clients in the use of methods pertaining to the use of GIS when needed and requested.
- Support data collection and analysis through GIS-based tools for monitoring of the projects (i.e. online monitoring, mapping of project locations)
- Coordinate with Department of GIS at General Directorate of Policy and Planning for relevant support, technical assistance, acquisition of data and information.
- Prepare periodic reports and written deliverables for the projects
- Refine and update data and format for final product.
- Keep record of data and maps and make ensure its availability when needed.
- Manage individual tasks as needed or assigned.
- Other relevant activities as assigned by supervisor from time to time.
- The interested candidates should submit their resume alone with a cover letter.
- Please note that application received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only short-listed candidates whose application responds to the above criteria will be contacted for written test.
Submission email: email@example.com